Telehealth is a fantastic channel when done right.
Not only does it make healthcare more accessible, but it also saves time for healthcare workers who would otherwise be bogged down with tasks not directly related to patient care. For this reason, many healthcare professionals enjoy the time-saving benefits of these digital services.
However, when done wrong, telehealth can become a nuisance to healthcare workers. Instead of saving time, healthcare professionals can end up wasting time fussing with unintuitive technology. This can become more of a burden than a blessing by contributing to employee burnout.
This post will explore how to implement telehealth into your healthcare program for maximum efficiency and benefit to patient care.
Telehealth, telemedicine, and telehealth services
First, it’s important to understand what some key concepts and terms mean.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine refers specifically to long-distance clinical healthcare between a healthcare practitioner and a patient. This includes long-distance assessments, diagnoses, and treatment information relayed from a healthcare professional to a patient.
What is telehealth?
Broader than telemedicine, the definition of telehealth encapsulates the full range of health-related services—not just clinical information between a patient and professional.
What are telehealth services?
These services refer to the use of telecommunication technologies to support long-distance clinical healthcare, patient education, professional CME, and public health administration. The technology used can include video conferencing, social media, phone calls, apps, management software, and any other communication method available today.
Why you should be using telehealth
Implementing telehealth services has several benefits for both patients and healthcare workers, including:
- Improved accessibility to healthcare: People who traditionally would not have access to healthcare—such as those who live in rural areas or experience mobility problems—would be able to access necessary services.
- Comfort and convenience: Patients can meet their healthcare team on their own terms
- Accessibility to specialists: Specialized doctors have access to a wider range of patients.
- Time-saving and cost-effectiveness: Patients are no longer forced to be physically present with clinicians, thereby reducing the use of supplies, the need for cleanup, and other tasks rendered by the medical team. In addition, information can be automatically relayed to all members of the healthcare team in real time, reducing the need for redundant communication.
All these factors combine to make your healthcare services more accessible to more people while making the most of the resources you currently have. Ultimately, telehealth can improve your bottom line by increasing revenue while reducing costs.
The best part is that everyone wins. Your patients can access healthcare in a way that is most convenient for them, your staff can do more of the patient-centered work they love to do, and your business can flourish.
The best way to use telehealth
The right management tool will provide an intuitive understanding of its interface, seamless integration of all functions, and allow communication in any way users require (i.e., texting, calling, video conferencing from different devices, etc.). With the optimal tool, there’s no need to flip back and forth between screens in order to talk to patients, take notes, or send data to other team members. All management functions are seamlessly integrated to allow for a comfortable, simplified experience for healthcare workers and patients.
Rather than spend hours meddling with poorly optimized software that was never intended for these purposes, healthcare professionals can focus their time and energy on patient care. The ideal tool for you will be easily customizable to serve the functions your team requires—without asking your team to navigate superfluous actions.
Finally, the right tool should be backed by exceptional customer support that sincerely cares about your patients as much as you do. Here’s a story to illustrate why Welkin might just be the best tool for your digital healthcare needs.
Telehealth examples: why Face It TOGETHER chose Welkin over Salesforce
Face It TOGETHER is an addiction counseling service that seeks to transform the way addiction recovery is conceived of and measured. They aim to analyze addiction recovery success by monitoring multiple lifestyle variables—including job performance, emotional stability, and more.
As part of their program, Face It TOGETHER uses telehealth services so members can easily contact coaches. They provide data to members, as well, so they can see how they’re doing. To facilitate these functions, they needed a management tool that could collect large data sets, update data in real time, share the data with the right people, and facilitate communication through texting, phone calls, and even video conferencing.
After trial periods with Salesforce Health Cloud and Welkin, Face It TOGETHER ultimately chose Welkin to be their all-in-one telehealth management solution. Here’s what they told us:
- Welkin is a healthcare company first. This made all the difference in their decision to partner with us. With Salesforce Health Cloud, the support team didn’t seem to understand all their challenges and ultimately was unable to resolve their issues. With us, they found it quite easy.
- Welkin took the time to understand Face It TOGETHER’s requirements. There was no superfluous, built-in functionality in our software that was difficult to adapt for their purposes. With Salesforce Health Cloud, Face It TOGETHER reported that there was unnecessary navigation that didn’t suit their needs.
- Welkin has a more intuitive interface. There was no need to toggle between different screens to report data in real time while communicating with members. They particularly underscored our scrolling timeline as a design feature that just made sense.
Welkin was able to customize a solution for Face It TOGETHER that met all their needs and was easy to navigate for their staff. Our management program made telehealth easy for them, and we are confident we can do the same for your business.
Use Welkin to implement telehealth services
If you run a healthcare practice, there is a whole world of benefits to be reaped by implementing telehealth services. When you’re ready to improve patient care, boost your staff’s productivity, and improve your bottom line, make sure you choose the right tool—make sure you choose Welkin.
Download the Face It TOGETHER case study or read more about how Welkin can help your healthcare team thrive.