Welkin Platform Overview
Welkin’s goal is to empower our customers. Our API exists in support of this goal. Whether it’s data kept within our platform, or their pre-existing systems, we think our customers should have complete, real-time access and agency over their own information.
Welkin’s RESTful API securely offer access and control over all your organization’s data stored within our platform. Connect Welkin to your other systems to coordinate relevant organizational information, such as your patient coaches and their schedules. Exchange data between Welkin and your third party tools to align updated patient information, interactions, activity, and all associated metadata. If you have existing APIs (or other data transfer pipelines) that can’t integrate directly with Welkin’s API, we provide tools that bridge the systems together.
By design, our API notifies your subscribed systems of any updates to your resources within Welkin. For example, when a patient’s phone number is changed in Welkin, that information is immediately sent to your systems, keeping them up to date with the latest values stored in our platform. Unlike other tools that send daily flat file data exports, we notify your systems in real-time.
Welkin’s API also transfer the data created and updated in your 3rd party systems into our platform, keeping your information across systems aligned.
In the next few sections, learn about how Welkin syncs your data and keeps it secure, followed by examples of how to use our API.
Sync your data using Welkin’s API
Welkin’s API work using a “ping and pull” model. This means our API notify subscribers any time there’s an update to their data within our platform. Those subscribers can then decide if they want to pull the updated resources into their system, from Welkin. This ensures your systems are kept up to date with the latest data changes in our platform, without needing to continuously poll our API.
Constant polling of API resources—which change infrequently—cost you money and compute resources. Both are saved when your tools are notified by Welkin whenever new data is available.
Additionally, when you start using Welkin—or want to make a copy of the data stored within our platform—you can always request your complete records through our API.
An example of Welkin’s data sync could look like the following:
- Alex, a coach, logs into Welkin and updates the phone number in the patient’s (Allison) profile.
- Welkin sends a notification to the customer’s 3rd party system, letting them know that the patient object for Allison has been changed.
- In response, the 3rd party system requests the full patient object for Allison, which contains the new phone number.
- The system processes the updated patient object and saves it.
- Both Welkin and the customer’s integrated system are now in sync, both reflecting Allison’s updated phone number.
The code for this example, as well as others, can be found in Welkin’s API documentation.
Sync your data with your existing APIs
Some of the systems your organization works with may already have APIs and data transfer methods in place. While integrating directly with Welkin’s API provides the highest level of control over your data in the platform, we offer integration tools to connect your existing systems with ours.
These tools translate information between systems, formats, and architectures, ensuring the right data is accessible to your team within Welkin. Your implementation lead will work with you to determine which tools to use to address your specific needs.
Keep your data secure
Welkin uses JSON Web Token (JWT) authorization to guarantee the highest level of security between our systems and 3rd party data systems. JWT provides significant advantages over other authorization methods, including: built-in token expiration, platform independence, and increased performance due to secret, single-key encryption that processes data access requests without additional database operations.
Welkin’s technical support team will help answer any questions you have about keeping your data safe using our authorization system.
More information about JWT-bearer authorization can be found here: https://jwt.io/
Learn how Welkin integration can work for you
Below are a few examples of key use cases for Welkin’s API, showing how your data is exchanged between systems. Your Welkin solutions architect, account executive, or account manager can help you think through other use cases specific to your patients and workflows.
- A patient is created in a 3rd party tool.
- That integrated tool sends an API call to Welkin with the new patient data.
- Welkin responds to the API call with the identifier for the newly created patient.
- The 3rd party system stores the Welkin ID for future reference.
Manage worker schedules
- Welkin sends regular notifications regarding schedule updates for patients and coaches to a subscribed system.
- The system stores copies of all the coach, patient, and schedule data.
- A patient requests an appointment change through the 3rd party system.
- The system sends that schedule modification to Welkin, through an API call.
- A confirmation of the appointment change is then sent back to 3rd party tool.
Track updates to patient information
- Patients are created and modified within Welkin.
- Welkin notifies a 3rd party system of the updates via our API.
- The 3rd party system pulls details of the changes from Welkin, also via the API.
- Those updates are stored in the 3rd party’s database.
Store Assessments completed outside of Welkin
- Current patient data is kept up to date in a 3rd party system, exemplified by the previous use cases.
- Patients complete Assessments using the 3rd party system’s web portal.
- The tool sends the Assessment data to Welkin via our API.
- The patients’ coaches view the uploaded Assessment data within Welkin’s platform.
For further details about Welkin’s API, our documentation, and getting access to the API, please reach out. We’d love to hear from you and answer any questions about how Welkin can support your organization.